Chapter summary / take away message:
- Neurons that fire together, wire together.
- Cognitive training comes in many forms. While we’ve delivered several brain training concepts and multi-task training examples, this is just the tip of the iceberg
- Be creative and use the concepts delivered to create your own exercises.
- Cognitive training done without movement can help to create neural pathways in the brain and help to improve cognition.
- Cognitive training during focused movement creates more neural firing patterns helping to reduce fall risk, improve dual task and multi-tasking skills, improve cognition, and improve movement.
- Cognitive training during focused movement and paired with visual system activation, vestibular system activation, and hand-eye coordination will activate the deeper brain and create additional neural firing pathways.
- The more frequently these exercise concepts are practiced, the stronger and more solid these new neural pathways will be.
- When an exercise becomes too easy for the patient, be creative and progress with new movement and cognitive challenges.